“Every painting is a new adventure for me. I really love the classical artists, especially the 17th century Dutch Masters Vermeer and Rembrandt. Their use of chiaroscuro is amazing. I also love Corot who painted in the 19th century. He combined classicism with impressionism beautifully, as did Sargent in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. In my landscapes and my still lifes I am most interested in the connection of man to the environment. I want my viewer to feel like he or she is there.
“Sometimes I paint en plein air, but I prefer the control of the studio. For my landscapes I take a lot of photos and if I have my paints with me, I do some color studies. I usually listen to classical music as I paint. For me there is a strong connection of music to painting.”
~ Beverly Brown
Beverly Brown is a representational oil painter currently living in the San Francisco North Bay area.
Born in Wilmington, Delaware, she received a BFA from Wittenberg University and continued her studies in architecture and graphic design at the Rhode Island School of Design and the Colorado Institute of Art. She has worked in both architecture and graphic design. After becoming a full-time mom, she continued to freelance, but in 2002 began to concentrate on painting, a life-long desire. She has studied with Frank Arcuri, David Leffel, Sherrie McGraw, HongNian Zhang, Ken Backuus and Peter Fiore.
Her paintings are in collections internationally.
- Marin County Open studios, CA – 2015, 2016, 2018
- Old Greenwood Exhibition, Truckee, CA – 2015
- Martis Camp, Truckee, CA – 2014, 2015
- The Renaissance, Walnut Creek, CA 2014
- MDUUC Exhibition, Walnut Creek, CA 2012
- Northampton Library, Richboro, PA 2009
- Moravian Village at Bethlehem, Bethlehem, PA 2009
- Canal Frame-Crafts Gallery, Washington Crossing, PA 2008
- Canal Frame-Crafts Gallery, Washington Crossing, PA 2005
- Pearl Buck International House 2005
Juried Exhibitions, Invitationals and Awards
- Artworks Downtown, San Rafael – juried shows since 2012
- Marin Museum of Contemporary Art
- SFWA Gallery, San Francisco – ongoing monthly juried exhibitions (Merit Award for “Wood for the Stove”)
- The Folk and Fine Art Gallery, Berkely, CA 2014
- Valley Art Gallery, Walnut Creek, CA 2013 – 2014
- Studio Gallery, San Francisco – Invitationals 2012 – 2014
- Honorable Mention for “Surfer Boy”, 46th Mother Lode National Art Exhibition 2012 Placerville, CA “Surfer Boy” and “Winter Field II”
- Philadelphia Sketch Club 2009 – 2011 Juried Exhibitions
- Doylestown Art League 2003 through 2009, (including first, second, third places, honorable mention awards and the George Christian Award for Painting)
- Best of Show for “Xi’an Girl” Tinicum, PA Arts Festival 2008
- Sabine Rose 2008 Paint-Out, Sabine Rose Gallery, Doylestown, PA
- Mixed Media Gallery 2007 Juried Exhibition
- Phillips Mill 2007 Juried Exhibition
- Canal Frame-Crafts 2003 through 2011 Juried Exhibitions (including first, third place and honorable mention awards)